Information for Renters
A property management company can be the perfect solution for those that never intended on being a landlord and have no clue on what it takes to manage a property, or it can be for the savviest landlord who just wishes to keep his distance from his tenant. In either case it is important to know exactly how a property management company works.
A property management company acts as a liaison between the landlord and the tenant. This can hold true for town homes condominiums, or even individual houses. As the name implies, the property management company is responsible for managing the property on behalf of the landlord. The duties of the management company include:
• Advertising and showing vacant property.
• Negotiating the lease of the property.
• Accepting rent.
• Responding to and handling tenant’s maintenance issues.
• Keep the tenant apprised of any changes in an upcoming lease.
• Keeping landlord apprised of any issues arising from tenant.
• Making sure general maintenance is being done to the property, such as lawn mowing and landscaping.
• Aiding landlord in rules and regulations involving issues such as eviction.
As a general rule of thumb, most states require property management companies to be licensed real estate brokers if they are to advertise property and accept rent. Most states have a process to check for such license to ensure ethical work is being conducted.
Is a property management company right for you?
Having a management company can be of great value for those that own property but do not wish to deal with the hassles that come with being a landlord. They are also a great comfort to have for landlords that lives in a different state than where their property is.
Sharlene Allen Realty charges a 10% fee on all rents collected.